"Byron A. Whitney, for many years engaged in the piano and music business in Malone, and a former trustee of Malone village, passed from mortal life Saturday evening at his home, 115 West Main street, aged 85 years.
Byron A. Whitney was born in the town of Dickinson in June 1845, a son of Peter ad [sic] Lucinia Whitney. His parents were pioneers of the town and came to Dickinson with others from Alburgh, Vt., making the journey by ox team and cart, when this North Country was little more than an unbroken wilderness. Peter Whitney and his wife were among the founders of the hamlet of Alburgh, a community which lies partly in the town of Dickinson and partly in the town of Moira. They gave the first settlement the name of Alburgh in honor of the Vermont town from which they came.
Byron A. Whitney received the rudiments of his education in the district schools of Dickinson, and later completed his education in the old Lawrenceville Academy. For several years after his graduation he taught school in the districts adjacent to his home, being an instructor [in] nineteen school terms. He possessed natural talent in music, and while engaged as a district school teacher also taught singing school in various communities.
He later went to Des Moines, Iowa, remaining there for a few [years]. Returning east he established himself in business in Norwood, remaining there until he removed to Malone in 1893, and established his piano and music business here, eventually purchasing the property at 115 West Main street, which was thereafter his home and business location. At the time of his comign to Malone he conducted an insurance agency as a branch of his business, but later disposed of the agency to O'Neil & Hale and devoted his entire time to the sale of music merchandise.
In this he was busily occupied and for years he personally delivered the pianos and organs he sold, driving his delivery team and wagon long distances to all parts of Franklin and St. Lawrence counties. Always greatly interested in church muisc he presented organs to many churches in the local territory. Four years ago he sold his business to his son, Olin H. Whitney, who has since conducted the piano and music business at the West Main street location. For a time the firm was known as B.A. Whitney & Son."
January 29, 1897 Franklin Gazette:
1895 ads from Franklin Gazette: